Welcome!

If you are looking for Willow Farm Apparel's T-shirts, please see the tab on the left labeled "Willow Farm Apparel". Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or requests. Thank you for your support!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

1 degree to 75 degrees

BRRRR... Wisconson was FREEZING... actually well below freezing... 1 degree actually. What a neat little farm and a wonderful family. The dad had just had brain surgery and they thought he would be "down and out" for weeks, but he miraculously healed SO FAST and was super capable even by the time I got there. It was such a fun visit, not nearly as much work for me as I had anticipated. Their two girls were PERFECT playmates for Elle, she had a blast. They were so sweet to her and shared all their dolls/toys, they taught her how to sew and helped her make a little stuffed fish, it was adorable how well they played together. Christian was a bit of a wreck, which was tough, but they understood (they have 5 kids and the 5th in particular is a tough kid) and after the first day we realized that his ear was bothering him and putting slightly warmed garlic oil in it immediately helped him.
They have the CUTEST baby Jersey cow ever. I have never seen such an adorable animal. Their mama pig was about to give birth and they had the sweetest pony. Elle got to ride her and loved it. Their older boy, Miles, was so fun to watch ride her- he loved to make her run. They road bare back of course- in the snow and it was a terrible photo opportunity to miss... They had another horse that wasn't quite broke yet and I was in love. My grandpa had horses when I was young and so I know a little about them. I have a real special place in my heart for horses. They don't seem realistic as they cost a lot and don't make any money- but I just love how they become your friend and I love their spirit and energy. There is something wonderful about brushing them, petting their soft ears and noses and of course the thrill of running them. Maybe someday... My aunt and uncle have a horse that will massage you with it's lips! It is the wierdest, most wonderful thing! The family also had the dada pig (boar) and a bunch of chickens. All these animals live in the barn in the winter- as there was about 16'' of snow in their pasture. It made me thankful for Washington weather- our animals can be out on pasture all year round. If you think 5 months of rain can drag on- could you imagine 5 months of snow on the ground and temperatures that rarely reach above freezing- often getting so cold that if the kids went outside to play without gloves, they could easily get frostbite!? For us, it was so fun to see snow- Elle was begging from Tennessee on (where we first saw snow on the side of the road) for me to pull over so she could eat some. She had fun sledding and eating snow to her hearts content.
The family had so much love from nearby family and friends. So many people brought meals. It was an incredible example of how willing people are to help and support one another. I was so glad to be a part of it. We didn't stay as long as we had thought we would, as they were so well taken care of and we missed Michael since we had just been gone the week before in Washington. It was a lot of driving in one week, but the kids did remarkable.
 Love to the Harrison family- thank you for having us!

No comments:

Post a Comment