Welcome!

If you are looking for Willow Farm Apparel's T-shirts, please see the tab on the left labeled "Willow Farm Apparel". Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or requests. Thank you for your support!

Monday, September 27, 2010

apple crumble heaven

So while the apples were cooking for the applesauce, I still had more apples and the pot was full so I thought about making a pie, and then thought I'd try some sort of crumble thing that would be faster than making dough... now, any of you who have made a graham cracker crust before... I never have, and didn't take the time to get a recipe for it, and still haven't, so who know's if I did it "right"- but it tastes INCREDIBLE!


First I had the kids mash up a bunch of graham crackers in a ziplock bag. Which Elle particularly enjoyed doing...



I poured about 2/3 into a pie plate and set the other 1/3 aside. I took a cube (1/2 Cup) of butter and melted it and poured it into the crumbs mixing it in and pressing it to form a crust.

I sliced apples- a little thick because I like a little crunch even when they're cooked- and then put in cinnamin, nutmeg, brown sugar and cane sugar...I couldn't tell you exact measurements because Elle put the stuff in and she used no measuring devise (just like her mama)... I'd guess about 2 Tablespoons of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon Nutmeg, 1/2 Cup cane sugar and 1/2 Cup brown sugar... basically enough just to coat the apples when stirred together.

I dumped the apple mix into the pie plate and Elle added the remaining 1/3 of grahm cracker crumble on top.  I put foil over the top and put it in the oven at 350degrees... for about 30-40 minutes... sorry didn't see the time exactly-(just judge by when the apples are soft and the crust is browned-can't really go wrong)... I was too busy finishing making the apple sauce, chasing the naked child who escaped from his diaper and was thoroughly enjoying his "freedom time" and cleaning up all the mess such things cause... ;0)
And then I put about 2/3 of the crunched crackers in a pie plate and melted a stick of butter and poured it in and mixed it up and pressed it to the pie plate.

It was SO EASY, really fun for Elle to help do (especially getting to stomp on the grahm crackers), and seriously SO GOOD.  I am sure it would be great with berries too...maybe not use the brown sugar? Anyway, successful experiment for sure! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment