Welcome!

If you are looking for Willow Farm Apparel's T-shirts, please see the tab on the left labeled "Willow Farm Apparel". Do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or requests. Thank you for your support!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Coconut Oil

I have recently discovered the majior health benefits of Coconut Oil, not to mention how great it works on "de-fluffing" my husbands hair! So I thought I would share some of what I have learned and how I use it.
I am copying and pasteing some info from organicfacts.net. Please feel free to check out that site for more info.
"The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.
Weight Loss: Coconut oil is very useful in reducing weight. It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight. It is also easy to digest and it helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and enzymes systems. Further, it increases the body metabolism by removing stress on pancreases, thereby burning out more energy and helping obese and overweight people reduce their weight. Hence, people living in tropical coastal areas, who eat coconut oil daily as their primary cooking oil, are normally not fat, obese or overweight."

I have also read that coconut oil helps regulate blood sugar and improves the secretion of insulin. It also helps in effective utilization of blood glucose, thereby preventing and treating diabetes.

Here are my favorite ways to enjoy using it- I admit I do not readily like coconut flavor, so I "hide" it in my foods.

A tablespoon in my berry smoothie! (My very favorite! Gives the smoothie a tropical taste which is especially nice this time of year!)
As oil in the pan to fry eggs, omeletes or make egg boats.
Substitute it for some of the butter in recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment